Sunday, December 5, 2010

Home Away from Home

While holidays are ample in Spain, 5 day weekends are not. This weekend is important because the following Monday and Wednesday are both Spanish holidays, making Tuesday the puente. Add that together and you get a 5 day weekend (except for me, who will be working most of this week..)

On the eve of the busiest travel weekend in Spain, all Air Traffic Controllers decided to strike, thus grounding all flights in all airports. Christina and Jose had plans for the past two months to fly to London and visit Jose's brother who just moved there. Both their mothers also came to Barcelona as they were also going to London, but unfortunately they are all stuck in town.

Because I was staying in town, two of my friends from Valencia came in to visit and explore BCN. I also organized a Mexican Fiesta at my place, where I made chicken fajitas, black beans (not out of a can…), fresh pico, and others brought the guac, rice, and bebidas. The night started out well until Rosemarie had severe eye irritations and began losing her vision due to her contacts. This happened to my brother last year and it was pretty serious. I called my hospital and asked if we had an optometrist available and my colleague, Dr. Miro, assured me we did. Worried that Rosemarie would get lost on the subway, Jose and his mother offered to drive her to the Hospital and wait with her. I haven't been in Spain long, but I've never seen anyone here go that far out of their way to take care of someone they just met. Sure people will offer advice or direct you places, but hardly ever will they treat you as their own. This reminded me a lot of home, and especially of my parents who go out of their way to help people they just met or people they don't even know.

Unfortunately, when the got to my hospital, the optometrist decided to peace out for the holiday and they were sent to an eye clinic on the other side of town. Again Jose and his mom accompanied Rosemarie and Nora, got them settled at the clinic, and helped explain things to the doctor. Champs. Plain champs.

They made it back in time for the end of the fiesta. We learned Rosemarie has the equivalent of small cuts on her cornea. She has to wear eye patches. Like a pirate. But, everything will be okay.

Next weekend, Zaragoza. The following, Rome. Talk soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment